Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sugar and Spice

Just before the man with the big red suit arrived this year, Jack and I busied ourselves in the kitchen making our annual batch of gingerbread men. This is my most favorite time during the Christmas season. The kitchen is warm and my boy and I are busy kneading and rolling and punching out our delicious little men. I love watching Jack's little hands carefully decorate the cookies with frosting and sprinkles, raisins and tiny red hots. Each year we use my Grandma's cookie cutters and Bryan's Grandma's rolling pin to lovingly produce our sweet and spicy gingerbread. It reminds of me of all that has passed and all that will be. I am so blessed to be Jack's mom and to be able to share this time with him using the tools of the women who came before me. I hope one day my grandchildren will be doing the same thing with him and remembering me.







No comments: